Director, Finance Analytics and Business Intelligence
Company: The University Of Chicago
Location: Orland Park
Posted on: April 3, 2021
Director, Finance Analytics and Business Intelligence
--BSD DIV - Administration: Accounting and Financial Analysis
About the Department
--The Biological Sciences Division (BSD) is the largest unit of the
University. Established in 1930, the BSD is comprised of faculty
from the clinical and basic sciences. In this unique academic
community, a unified division delivers undergraduate, graduate,
medical, and postgraduate education in the biological sciences
together with outstanding patient care and world-renowned research.
The BSD currently includes approximately 135 faculty in the 10
basic science departments, over 800 faculty in 13 clinical
departments, and 2400 staff members. The BSD includes the Pritzker
School of Medicine (PSOM), approximately 24 academic units,
degree-granting committees, and research centers and institutes.
The BSD is located on the University's main campus in Hyde Park, 20
minutes south of downtown Chicago. In total, the BSD is responsible
for the education and training of more than 1,200 undergraduate
students per year and 800 basic science graduate and medical
students. The 18 doctoral training programs in biological sciences
focus on Darwinian sciences, molecular biosciences, neurosciences,
biomedical sciences, public health sciences, radiation physics, and
the MD/Ph.D. interdisciplinary scientist training program. Doctoral
students in the BSD are supported in part by 25 National Institute
of Health (NIH) training grants and NSF, NIH, and HHMI fellowships.
The faculty of the BSD, led by the Master of the College, are
responsible for teaching undergraduate biology courses. These
courses are highly rated by students and the proportion of
undergraduates majoring in biology has been increasing. Under the
leadership of the University Executive Vice President for Medical
Affairs and Dean of the BSD, the BSD and University of Chicago
Medical Center (UCMC)-a separate legal entity controlled by the
University-are collectively known as the University of Chicago
Medicine (UChicago Medicine or UCM). UCMC oversees the finances and
operations of all inpatient and ambulatory services. The UCMC
medical staff is comprised of faculty physicians who receive
academic appointments in the University and the clinical
departments of the BSD. BSD's patient care operations are conducted
on the Hyde Park campus and in clinics located in the South Loop
and Orland Park.
--The job manages a team of professional staff responsible for the
financial management of operating and capital budgets for divisions
and/or University-wide administrative units. Develops long and
short term plans to achieve financial goals, business
strategies/plans, and financial forecasts/models for all major
service programs and initiatives. Manages quarterly and year-end
reporting for the operating budget.
The Director, Finance Analytics and Business Intelligence (BI) is
key member of Biological Sciences Division (BSD) Finance team
responsible for leading, developing and maintaining analytical
models, tools and analysis to support BSD resource allocation and
financials. As a leader, you will be collaborative,
forward-thinking, and visible, committed to excellence advancing
the successful completion of projects, initiatives, and new
In this role, you will drive achievement through collaboration with
UCM to further leverage reports and metrics (i.e., ambulatory & OR
metrics and other BI indicators). The position will work closely
with BSD Information Services (who will remain focused on
non-clinical analytics) and you will report to the Executive
Director BSD Financial Analysis.Responsibilities
- Develops, implements and maintains the data analytics and BI
needs of the clinical departments by merging clinical, EPIC,
financial, and HCM data for faculty practice level analytics &
- Analyzes management reporting needs and develops and implements
dashboards and reports to improve decision making that support
operational efficiency and enhance the reporting capabilities to
meet the needs of the organization.
- Establishes and leads a team of highly engaged, efficient and
skilled Finance Analytics and BI developers working as senior level
coach to mentor and execute on key projects promoting continual
growth and improvement among members of the team.
- Works closely and collaboratively with analysts to solve
problems with hands on ability to execute, and not just lead.
- Works across the campus community to bring a track record of
leading change, implementing innovative solutions, streamlining
processes, and delivery of solutions.
- Performs ongoing assessments on technology solutions to best
support state-of-the-art care delivery and business analytics for
client enterprises; integrates business needs and technology
solutions to create data management strategies which meet clients'
- Leads business analytics engagement teams implementing
large-scale data ecosystems, including data management, governance
and integration of structured and unstructured data .
- Adheres to timelines and completion of project plans and full
due diligence process
- Implements and oversee the quality of deliverables and
effectively manage the team and day-to-day relationships to ensure
- Participates in the development and presentation of proposals
for business development activities.
- Builds collaborate relationships with senior level operations
leadership to understand multifaceted business problems and develop
analytical solutions to complex issues.
- Leads and manage organizational change in order to accomplish
ambitious objectives while enhancing departmental performance and
- Leverages technology, knowledge, and process management to
continually increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the
- Manages the development, monitoring, and evaluation of a
consolidated annual and intermediate (typically three to five year)
budget plan and budget process for a unit, as well as actual
performance against budget.
- Manages the preparation of audits and value-add financial
analysis. Advises senior management on financial reporting
- Performs other related work as needed.
--Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university
degree in related field.---
Work Experience:Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills
developed through 7+ years of work experience in a related job
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology,
or related field.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or
- EPIC Certification
- Oracle CertificationExperience:
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in
computer science, information technology or software
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience including leading
- Experience with data warehouse development and business
- Experience with programming and software development programs
such as HTML, Java, SQL, C++.
- Experience developing web based and client/server
- Experience creating development specifications, business cases
and full design life cycle.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge using EPIC systems.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge in UNIX environment.
- Experience with database administration (DBA).
- Experience and ability to creating automated report using web
- Solid understanding of financials and reporting. Preferred
- Strong commitment to success of the team, ability to cooperate
with others across boundaries and engage with colleagues
respectfully to get things done.
- Demonstrated record of change management, supplemented by
strong organizational skills and an entrepreneurial spirit, coupled
with the ability to plan strategically.
- Exceptional interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding critical thinking skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to move efficiently, navigate ambiguity, and
collectively make an impact.
- Mastery of critical leadership competencies and behaviors, and
- Ability to model institutional cultural values and
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set
priorities, and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to grasp the big picture and institutional goals to
integrate into the Finance operations.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to think through complex
challenges, develop collaborative solutions, and execute in ways
that align with the organization's core values and strategic
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation
skills, both written and verbal. Application Documents
- Resume (required)
- Cover letter (preferred)
When applying, the document(s) MUST--be uploaded via the My
Experience page, in the section titled Resume/CV of the
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
-- The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal
Opportunity /Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate
on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an
individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic
information, or other protected classes under the law. For
additional information please see the University's Notice of
Nondiscrimination. Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable
accommodation to complete the application process should call
773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form . We
seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic
community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and
encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of
individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual
challenge, engagement, and exchange. All offers of employment are
contingent upon a background check that includes a review of
conviction history.A conviction does not automatically preclude
University employment.Rather, the University considers conviction
information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the
offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of
the conviction, and its relevance to the position. The University
of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides
information about University offices and programs that provide
safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and
communications plans, and other policies and information. The
Report can be accessed online at:--
http://securityreport.uchicago.edu .--Paper copies of the Report
are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police
Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637. Full time
JR09787 About Us The University of Chicago is an urban research
university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our
commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our
global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the
world. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in
pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop
critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous,
interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs,
students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the
next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and
Keywords: The University Of Chicago, Orland Park , Director, Finance Analytics and Business Intelligence, Executive , Orland Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!