Director of Nursing (DON)
Company: Alden Estates of Orland Park
Location: Orland Park
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Alden Estates of Orland Park - JOB SUMMARY
- Responsible to plan, organize, develop, direct and delegate (as
appropriate) the overall operation of the Nursing Department in
accordance with current federal, state, and local standards,
guidelines and regulations, and facility policies. The objective is
to ensure the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all
- Must possess a current, unencumbered license to practice as a
Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois and/or
- Minimum of one (1) year nursing service administration
- Must possess current CPR certificate or become certified within
two weeks of employment.
- Must be knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language in
an understandable manner.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when
circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with customers,
family members, visitors, personnel, government agencies/personnel,
and the general public.
- Must possess leadership and supervisory ability and willingness
to work harmoniously with personnel.
- Must be personable, enthusiastic, and resourceful.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will
enable these senses to function adequately so the requirements of
this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal
integrity, and the ability to work effectively with customers,
family members, personnel, and support agencies.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional
- Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled,
elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people.
- May be required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment,
supplies, and customers in excess of 50 lbs. throughout the
- Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases,
conditions, etc., including exposure to the (HIV) AIDS and
Hepatitis B viruses.
- Accepts work assignment as directed by appropriate authority.
This may require different floors, customers, workload, and
multiple tasks as assigned.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the
- Assure all Nursing procedures and protocols are followed in
accordance with established policies. Reviews annually for
revisions and make recommendations to the Administrator.
- Directly supervise and instruct the Ladies and Gentlemen of
Alden on a number of topics to promote job knowledge.
- Identify problems, develop, and implement solutions with the
assistance of the Administration.
- Develops and implements a nursing/rehab/restorative philosophy
that promotes quality nursing, rehab, restorative care for each
- Assure adequate staff on all shifts.
- Audits charts and EHR to ensure daily documentation is
- Assure laboratory and x-ray reports are received and filed for
all tests completed.
- Audits transfers/discharge information to assure accuracy and
completeness. Audits charts for deficiencies. IDT-through regularly
scheduled chart audits.
- Assist in developing a written plan of care for each customer
that identifies the problems/needs of the customer. Attends and
actively participates in resident care plan conference when
- Attend Customer and or Family Council meetings when invited.
Report all concerns, complaints made by the resident or their
family to the Administrator.
- Recruit, interview, and select the Ladies and Gentlemen of
Alden with the approval of the Administrator.
- Schedule department work hours, personnel, work assignments,
etc., to expedite work. Ensure a sufficient number of Ladies and
Gentlemen of Alden are available to meet the needs of our
- Counsel/discipline as requested or as necessary. Complete
performance evaluations timely.
- Make daily rounds to ensure nursing personnel are performing
required duties and to ensure that appropriate procedures are being
followed. Make physical rounds on all customers daily. Make rounds
with physicians as necessary.
- Submit Workmen's Compensation forms (once reviewed) to the
Business Office Manager within 24 hours after their
- Plan, conduct and participate in In-service Education
- Assist in implementing and maintaining an effective orientation
program that orients the new Ladies and Gentlemen of Alden to the
facility, his/her department and its policies and
- Attend and participate in continuing education
- Place orders for equipment and supplies as necessary following
established budgetary guidelines.
- Maintain budgetary restraints by following established
procedures for preparing purchase orders for review by the
Administrator prior to placing orders.
- Maintain a reference library of written nursing materials
(i.e., Drug Formulary, State and Federal regulations, etc.) that
will assist the nursing service department in meeting the
day-to-day needs of the customer.
- Participate with the Administrator and Admissions Director in
selecting appropriate admissions and assignments of rooms.
- Review nurses' notes/EHR to ensure they are informative and
descriptive of the nursing care being provided, and they reflect
the customer's response to the care.
- Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to ensure
medications are being administered as ordered and treatments are
provided as scheduled.
- Ensure that professional nursing personnel have valid and
current licenses as required by State.
- Ensure changes in customer condition are reported to family and
- Attend Department Head meetings, Infection Control meetings,
Quality Assurance meetings, etc., as directed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Keywords: Alden Estates of Orland Park, Orland Park , Director of Nursing (DON), Executive , Orland Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!