Operating Room Nurse - Cardiac/Vascular/Thoracic - Orland Park, IL - Thoracic Surgery
Company: UChicago Medicine
Location: Orland Park
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Operating Room Nurse - Cardiac/Vascular/Thoracic - Orland Park,
Join UChicago Medicine, as an Operating Room Nurse in the
CCD-OR.--As an Operating Room Nurse, you will be responsible
for--providing nursing care that is goal-directed and adapted to
the needs of an individual, a family and/or community during health
and illness.----In this role, the Operating Room Nurse will provide
nursing care--based on knowledge, skills and standards of practice
which provide a foundation that allows the nurse to assess, plan,
implement and evaluate the nursing care being provided. Each
professional nurse assumes primary responsibility and
accountability for all nursing care provided by him/her and those
directly under their supervision. The nurse is part of the
multi-disciplinary team which works collaboratively in providing
care to patients.--Essential Job Functions
- Utilizes assessment skills to determine patient needs in order
to provide comprehensive patient/family care for patients from
neonate to geriatric population.
- Identifies learning needs of patients and their family which
directly influence patient recovery and develops teaching methods
to enhance learning.
- Implements nursing actions based on scheduled surgery, patient
assessment, patient--developmental needs and incorporates actions
into written plan of care.
- Evaluates care given and allows for alterations in nursing
interventions to meet the changing needs or conditions of the
patient. Documents appropriately in patient care records.
- Successfully completes unit based and hospital competencies as
- competently performs nursing treatments and procedures
according to hospital policy and nursing practice within clinical
specialty as documented by the respective clinical rotational
- Maintains current CPR certification.
- Prepares and administers medication/treatment according to the
physician's orders utilizing knowledge base to assure patient
- Works collaboratively with other health team members in
providing a holistic approach to health care. Communicates changes
to all team members as appropriate.
- Documents all aspects of patient care from admission to
discharge according to hospital policies.
- Incorporates discharge planning measures into daily practice in
order to provide patients with smooth transition from hospital to
- Provides cost-effective care by proper use of time, supplies
- Actively participates in unit staff meeting.
- Assists unit in development/attainment of unit goals and
- Contributes to creating a work climate that encourages positive
staff morale, motivation and commitment for all who participate in
the care of patients.
- Assumes charge nurse responsibilities as assigned by Clinical
Director or designee.
- Shares in leadership responsibilities at various levels by
supervising, directing and teaching other employees as it effects
- Participates in unit activities/goals to promote retention of
- Participates in a changing environment by being supportive and
cooperative with changes at the unit level.
- Demonstrates reliability and accountability to the unit and
Department of Nursing.
- Incorporates professional standards into practice utilizing
written nursing care plans.
- Participates in Quality Improvement data analysis, conclusions
and changes determined.
- Participates in the preceptor program either by being a
preceptor or assisting in those who are.
- Participates in weekly scheduled in-service--Required
- RN Required
- Associate Degree in Nursing; BSN degree or higher preferred.
- Associate Degree Nurses are required to enroll in a BSN program
within six (6) to nine (9) months of hire, and make progress toward
and complete their BSN degree within 30 months. ADN nurses receive
100% tuition reimbursement towards a BSN degree from an accredited
- Current RN Illinois license
- Minimum of 1 year of Surgical/OR experience--required
- Graduate of an approved school of nursingPreferred
- Trauma background preferredPosition Details
- Job Type/FTE: 1.0, Full-time
- Shift: 7a-530pmUnit/Department: CCD-OR
- CBA Code: NNU--Organizational Overview
- to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- to learn more about our benefits
- to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: UChicago Medicine, Orland Park , Operating Room Nurse - Cardiac/Vascular/Thoracic - Orland Park, IL - Thoracic Surgery, Healthcare , Orland Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!