Special Procedures Nurse - Special Procedures
Company: University of Chicago Medical Center
Location: Orland Park
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Special Procedures NurseJob Description
Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system at UChicago
Medicine as a Special Procedures Nurse at our Orland Park
Under the direction of an Attending Physician or a licensed
independent practitioner, the Special Procedures Nurse provides
technically complex and high risk nursing care services to patients
which may include one or more of the following categories:
sedation, intravenous infusions, complex procedures, e.g., lumbar
puncture, cardiac catherization; this may also include specialized
monitoring during procedure and recovery phase. The Special
Procedures Nurse may have Charge Nurse responsibility for his/her
Essential Job Functions
* Computer proficiency: familiarity with UCMC Information Systems
* Strong interpersonal skills; ability to handle a wide variety of
public contacts, including conflict resolution and communicating
both verbally and in writing with discretion and courtesy with
patients, families and co-workers.
* Requires the knowledge & ability to administer minimal and
moderate sedation as prescribed and directed by the attending or
licensed independent practitioner.
* May require extensive familiarity with hematologic and oncologic
diseases, chemotherapy drugs and treatment protocols.
* Follows UCMC sedation policy to monitor and recover sedated
* Maintains critical care competencies not limited to: management
of artificial airways, including endotracheal tubes and
tracheostomy tubes, hemodynamic stability, and thermoregulation for
critically ill patients.
* Brings excellent organizational skills as demonstrated by:
abilities to prioritize and work independently with a high degree
of initiative, flexibility, problem solving and adaptability to an
ever changing work environment.
* Demonstrates ability to work under pressure, exercise good
judgment and assume responsibility in a stressful work
* Ability and willingness to cooperate with multidisciplinary team
to fulfill patient/family needs.
* Identifies issues, presents strategies and acts as a change agent
to resolve unit and patient care issues.
* Accepts responsibility for learning as part of the development of
their own professional practice.
* RN Required; Bachelor of Science in Nursing
* Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the
State of Illinois
* Current CPR
* Current ACLS and PALS certifications
* One additional certification in area specialty
* Chemotherapy experience preferred
* 2 to 3 years of recent Critical Care experience
* Experience working in a research environment
* Leadership/Management experience in area of specialty
* ONS Chemotherapy Immunotherapy card within 30 days of hire
* Experience with central lines, PICC lines, and Port-a-Cath
* Proficient IV skills
* Job Type/FTE: Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
* Shift: Days, 8-hour shifts
* Unit/Department: Infusion Therapy
* CBA Code: NNU
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a
condition of employment. If you have already received the
vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment
process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu
Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions
will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a
pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are
also required for all employees prior to hire.
Why Join Us
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide
superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each
patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need
employees with passion, talent and commitment--- with patients and
with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical
innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our
collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human
life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for
you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters.
Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving;
from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the
Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be
a part of this pursuit of excellence at:
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity
employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual ori
Keywords: University of Chicago Medical Center, Orland Park , Special Procedures Nurse - Special Procedures, Healthcare , Orland Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!